Using the template
- If typing your manuscript directly into the template, select (highlight) the text of the template that you want to replace and begin typing your manuscript (i.e., select the Title section for typing in your title).
- To insert graphics within the text or as a figure, chart, scheme, or table, create a new line and insert the graphic where desired. If your graphic is not visible, ensure that the Word Style is “Normal” with an automatic height ad-justment. If the size of the artwork needs to be adjusted, re-size the artwork in your graphics program and re-paste the artwork into the template (maximum width for single-column artwork, 3.3 in. (8.5 cm); maximum width for double-column artwork, 7 in. (17.8 cm)).
- Delete all sections from the template that are not needed, including these instructions.
- Save the file with the graphics in place: select Save As (File menu) and save it as a document file (.doc).
- Proof a printout of the manuscript (from a 600 dpi or higher laser printer) to ensure that all parts of the manuscript are present and clearly legible.
- Ensure that page numbers are present on all pages before submitting your manuscript.
To format double-column figures, schemes, charts, and tables, use the following instructions:
- Place the insertion point where you want to change the number of columns
- From the Insert menu, choose Break
- Under Sections, choose Continuous
- Make sure the insertion point is in the new section. From the Format menu, choose Columns
- In the Number of Columns box, type 1
- Choose the OK button
Now your page is set up so that figures, schemes, charts, and tables can span two columns. These must appear at the top of the page. Be sure to add another section break after the table and change it back to two columns with a spacing of 0.33 in.
Authors are required to submit a thumbnail for the Table of Contents (TOC) that, in conjunction with the manuscript title, should give the reader a representative idea of one of the following: a key structure, reaction, equation, concept, or theorem, etc., that is discussed in the manuscript.
The preferred TOC thumbnail size is 3.5cm square. However, for thumbnails that cannot be square, an image no wider than 7.0 cm and no taller than 3.5 cm may be submitted. The graphic will be reproduced at 100% of the submission size. A surrounding margin will be added to this width and height during journal production.